DIAMOND BACK® WING ASSEMBLY
Diamond Back features a unique joined tandem wing design that extends the wings from a compact storage position. The deployed wings provide a diamond shaped platform with excellent maneuverability and glide characteristics.
The Diamond Back wing assembly has successfully demonstrated low-cost range extension technology that can triple the stand-off of air-launched stores providing more flexible mission options.
The unique wing assembly provides stand-off and cross-track maneuverability for a significantly expanded footprint for air-launched stores. The larger footprint not only provides additional survivability for the delivery aircraft but also allows delivery to multiple points from a single release point.
Diamond Back is currently in full rate production for the US Air Force Small Diameter Bomb and has been combat proven in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.
Flight Proven Extended Range
The Diamond Back wing assembly has been extensively tested, qualified, and combat proven for the GBU-39/B Small Diameter Bomb (SDB) weapon. Diamond Back has also been successfully demonstrated in flight on the extended range Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) BLU-109 weapon and the Focused Lethality Munition.
The integrated Diamond Back wing assembly is in full rate production for use on the US Air Force Small Diameter Bomb. Total production of over 24,000 units is expected.
Why Diamond Back
- Provides increased stand-off outside point defenses
- Provides expanded delivery envelope
- Increases launch aircraft survivability and tactical flexibility
- In production and successfully used in combat operations
- Scalable size to accommodate full weapon load out
- Longer range and improved maneuverability
- Deployment mechanism is simple, robust and reliable at any launch condition